How To Get Rid Of Termites: Here Are The Top Ways
Termites are a type of insect that damage many materials like wood, timber, and even paper. They eat organic material, which leaves it to rot and be eaten by other insects and animals. This article highlights the different ways of stopping termites from destroying your property.
What are the top methods to get rid of termites?
There are a number of ways to get rid of termites, depending on the severity and location of the infestation. For a better solution, you can go to the Subterranean Termites control by Aardwolf. However, there are some methods more effective than others, so it’s important to choose one that will work best for your situation.
- Remove All Infested Material: This is the most basic approach and usually is enough to kill termites on its own. Remove all wood, insulation, drywall, and any other material that could be harbouring termites. If you see signs of an existing colony, such as mounds or tunnels in the substrate, treat those areas first before proceeding with the removal process.
- Use a Liquid Fence: Termites aren’t able to cross through most types of barriers, but a liquid fence can stop them from entering your home in the first place. Just pour a gallon or two of water into a container large enough to cover the exterior wall of your home and wait about 24 hours for it to form a thick plastic barrier. Once it has hardened, pour more water over the top to break it down and remove the termites from the inside. Make sure to reapply every six months or so to keep termites away permanently.
- Kill Termites With Chemicals: This is typically used when there’s an active colony inside your home. Apply a chemical treatment that kills all termites on contact; make sure to wear protective gear (including rubber gloves and long pants) and stay out of reach. Above all, contact the Subterranean Termites control services. Aardwolf provide mosquito control too.
How do you know you have termites?
There are a few ways to determine whether you have termites:
- See if there is any evidence of their presence, such as tunnels or damage around the home.
- Check the soil for irregularities, such as discolouration or an increase in moisture levels.
- Request a termite inspection from a professional company.
- Use an electronic detection system, such as TermiteXpert ortermiteFinder, to find subterranean termites.
- Use a chemical treatment that is specific to termites, such as propoxur or termiticide baits placed near their entrances and around the foundation of the house.
How can you prevent termites?
Prevention is the best way to get rid of termites, as improper maintenance can lead to an infestation. Here are some tips on how you can prevent termites from invading your home:
- Keep your home clean and free of clutter – Termites need access to lots of wood in order to thrive, so keeping your home clean and organized will help keep them away.
- Repair any damaged areas – Termites love to gnaw on rotting lumber, so if there are any cracks or holes in your roof, walls or foundation, repair them as soon as possible.
- Inspect your gutters and downspouts – Termite colonies like moist environments, so make sure all water lines leading into and out of your home are properly maintained. If you see signs of an infestation, like trails of dirt leading up to your property, call a professional.
- Seal all cracks and crevices – Termites like to move around inside homes in search of food, so make sure all small openings (like door frames) are tightly sealed shut.
If you think you may have an infestation, it’s best to call a professional to do a thorough assessment. A termite inspection kit can help you identify any signs of an issue early on before it becomes too late.