B.Tech Biotechnology: Syllabus, Salary, Jobs, and Scope
Is biotechnology something you are interested in? Get to know the B.Tech Biotechnology Syllabus, Salary, Job Prospects, and Scope by reading this article.
The Bachelor of Technology in Biotechnology is a four-year degree program. Students learn about modern biotechnology through bioinformatics, genomics, nanobiotechnology, plant and animal cancer cell signalling, biotechnology structure, basic drug design, and neurobiology.
In this course, students will gain in-depth knowledge of biotechnology to build a pool of expertise in biological engineering for future research. Read further to learn more about the B.Tech Biotechnology Syllabus, Salary, Job Prospects, and Scope.
What is B.Tech in Biotechnology?
- An industry involving living organisms and molecular biology, biotechnology develops or runs processes for drugs and therapeutics related to healthcare (such as DNA fingerprinting).
- Biotechnology is best known for its increasing importance in medicine and pharmaceuticals.
- In addition to genomics and food production, industries use biotechnology to produce biofuels.
- Tech Biotechnology course includes study of mathematics, engineering mechanics, biochemistry, biomaterials, and artificial organs.
- Both private and public sectors offer job opportunities.
B.Tech Biotechnology – Admission Process and Eligibility Criteria
- As with other B.Tech programmes, the eligibility criteria for a bachelor of technology Biotechnology are similar. Depending on the college, it may vary.
- Aspirants for B.Tech Biotechnology must have completed 10+2 from a recognised board with subjects such as physics, chemistry, biology and mathematics.
- Candidates must appear for entrance exams and score good marks to get admission to top colleges.
- During online counselling, candidates can select colleges they would like to attend depending on their marks.
There are numerous entrance exams for B.Tech Biotechnology. Entrance exams generally require students to have passed class 12. The following are some of the critical entrance exams:
- JEE Main
- JEE Advanced
- MHT CET
Top B.Tech Biotechnology Colleges in India
Listed below is the table of top B.Tech Biotechnology colleges in India.
|College Name||Total Fees in ₹(Approx)|
|IIT Delhi||8.43 Lakhs|
|IIT Kharagpur||3.16 Lakhs|
|IIT Roorkee||8.52 Lakhs|
|IIT Guwahati||8.59 Lakhs|
|NIT Rourkela||8.22 Lakhs|
|VIT Vellore||6.95 Lakhs|
|IIT Mandi||8.33 Lakhs|
|Thapar Institute of Engineering and Technology||15.06 Lakhs|
|NIT Warangal||5.19 Lakhs|
|Amity University||10.92 Lakhs|
B.Tech Biotechnology Syllabus
Here is the semester-wise B.Tech Biotechnology syllabus:
|First Year Syllabus
|Second Year Syllabus
|Third Year Syllabus
|Fourth Year Syllabus
B.Tech Biotechnology Scope
Rapid technological innovations have led to extraordinary biotechnology advancements and discoveries over the last three decades. Biotechnology has a significant impact on society as a result of these technological developments. As a result, this field offers many career possibilities at present and in the future.
Below listed are the fresher jobs after B.Tech biotechnology.
- Genetic Counsellors
- Biochemical Engineers
- Chemical Technician
- Biochemists and Biophysicists
- Quality Control & Quality Analysts
- Food Safety Analysts
Following are some of the experienced jobs after B.Tech biotechnology.
- Research Scientist
- Medical Scientist
- Biomedical Engineer
- Biomanufacturing Specialists
- Process Development Scientist
- Business Development Manager
- Director of Product Strategy
B.Tech Biotechnology Areas of Recruitment
The pharmaceutical industry and the defence industry both hire biotechnology graduates. These are the areas of recruitment available after B.Tech Biotechnology in India.
- Research and Development
- Quality Assurance/Regulatory Affairs
- Government (Policymaking)
- Clinical Research
- Food, Animal, and Environmental Science
- Business Management
- Sales and Technical Support
- Project Management
B.Tech Biotechnology – Salary Packages
Depending on the graduate’s experience, qualifications, and knowledge, the B.Tech Biotechnology salary of a candidate varies. With advanced programs such as an M.Tech in Biotechnology, one can discover the available career paths and increase their salary. In both scope and salary, B.Tech Biotechnology is on the rise.
An average B.Tech Biotechnology graduate earns between ₹4 and 5 LPA.
|Highest Salary||₹21 LPA|
|Lowest Salary||₹2.0 LPA|
|Average Salary||₹4.5 LPA|
In India, B.Tech Biotechnology salaries of graduates are as follows:
|Job Role||Average Salary|
|Software Engineer||₹7 – 8 LPA|
|Research Analyst||₹3 – 4 LPA|
|Quality Assurance (QA)Inspector||₹2.5 – 4 LPA|
|Team Leader, IT||₹10 – 12 LPA|
|Research Associate, Biotechnology||₹3 – 5 LPA|
|Information Technology (IT) Consultant||₹9 – 11 LPA|
|Senior Business Analyst||₹7 – 8 LPA|
B.Tech Biotechnology – Government Jobs
Biotechnology aspirants have a wide variety of employment opportunities in government. B.Tech Biotechnology graduates can apply for the following government jobs:
|Government Companies||Job Profile||Average Salary|
|BARC||Biodefense technician||₹8 – 10 LPA|
|Indian Institute of Tropical Meteorology||Junior / Senior Research Fellow||₹4 – 5 LPA|
|NCERT||Junior Project Fellow||₹3 – 4 LPA|
|DRDO||Biotech Technician||₹5 – 6 LPA|
|NCCS||Domain Expert||₹8 – 9 LPA|
Why Register with Sunstone While Pursuing Biotechnology?
Sunstone is an education service provider offering industry-endorsed training programs to students to get them job-ready from day one. Sunstone focuses on upskilling students and has a presence in 50+ campuses across India. Many of these campuses offer B.Tech in Biotechnology. You can take admission to any of these institutions and take advantage of Sunstone’s features.
Here is a list of what Sunstone offers:
- Self-financed learning with facilities like zero per cent interest loans and scholarships worth ₹10 cr.
- Access to 50+ advanced certifications for your program.
- 100+ hours of industry-aligned training modules.
You pay a fee (in addition to the college fee) to register with Sunstone and use its features. If you do not get placed after completing your course, Sunstone will refund your fees.
Frequently asked questions
Is B.Tech biotechnology a good course?
Biotechnology is an excellent career choice because it equips aspirants with transferable skills and allows them to earn additional income.
What is the highest salary for a B.Tech in biotechnology?
21 LPA is the highest salary for experienced B.Tech biotechnology engineers in India.
Can I get a job after B.Tech biotechnology?
Yes, after successful completion of the B.Tech biotechnology course, you can find jobs as:
- Clinical Scientists
- Professional Lab Technicians
- Medical Writing Executives, etc.
There are also opportunities for professionals in this career to teach at universities and colleges.